Thursday, September 15, 2022



Here's a wonderful book by my friend and fellow poet, Susan Vespoli:

 









From the hilarious cover art through all the poems, this book is quite a ride. Susan Vespoli, with determined frankness and unrepentant humor, showcases modern love, loss and their aftermaths. She writes, when the relationship ends, that she "tore off our bed sheets and bought a pink set" and "Goodwill clothes [he] liked and kept the ones [he] didn't." By the end of Cactus as Bad Boy, you'll be rooting for her.

 




Susan Vespoli



Here's a poem from the book: 

Sea Otters

Sea otters hold hands while they're sleeping
so they don't drift away from each other,

lying on their backs, they float through night
like kayaks rafted together by tow ropes,

lulled by the cradling rock of waves that roll
from flat to round to pointy peaks of foam.

And that's what I miss the most.
Lying on my back with you dozing beside me,

your hand draped over my heart like a gentle tent,
my fingers laced through yours in a sort of truce,

because when we slept no one had to be right.








No comments:

Post a Comment

A poem by Charles Wright

  AFTER READING TU FU, I GO OUTSIDE TO THE DWARF GARDEN                         by Charles Wright East of me, west of me, full summer. How d...